Monday, August 13, 2018

The Big One

This is the big week, the week that ends in a twenty mile run. It didn't really start small either, with a ten mile run today.

Thus far, I haven't worried about pushing too much to get my weekday long run in. I've only slacked on it twice. I wasn't sure I could even fit ten miles in before work, especially now that the sun doesn't come up as early. I didn't want to look back on this week and feel like I didn't properly prepare for the twenty miler this weekend. If I struggle too much, I might think that if I had only run the ten miles like I was supposed to...

So, I woke up and got out the door around 4:30am. This is still a fairly new area for me and I was a little nervous about running in the dark when I am still learning the ins and outs of it all. This does seem like a safe neighborhood, probably safer than the former, but strange things can happen anywhere, so it's still a little nerve-racking.

I ran with no music for the first 5 miles, until the sun was a little more prominent in the sky. I skipped the part where the sidewalk ends, just because I didn't think our led lights were enough on a dark country road. I'm sure Henri was thrilled with that decision, even though that took us into a neighborhood we hadn't been in yet and it messed with my route and knowledge of how to get all of the miles. It all felt pretty good though. Henri was moving. I didn't feel like I was struggling to keep up with him. My body didn't hurt too much from the long run this past weekend. The miles were just ticking off.

I hit a small wall at seven miles, but Henri helped me push through. It only lasted half a mile and we were flying again. Then the last mile and a half were challenging because I was running out of time and I wanted to make sure we finished by the house, so we didn't have to walk very far after. Then we hit a bunch of sprinklers. Do I really need to shower if I'm hit hard with sprinklers at the end of a run?

It was a good run. The temperature was decent. Henri and I both felt good. I'm not saying I didn't struggle some, but if twenty miles could feel a little bit like this (which it won't because I won't have Henri), I'll be okay. I'll make it at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment