Monday, March 16, 2015

Trying Again

We tried out yet another new place to run yesterday! I had a roommate that ran several years ago and I attempted to run with her. I failed miserably and only slowed her down, so I quickly gave up. I think I would occasionally go by myself, but I could only do short spurts at a time. We can call it intervals, but I really don't think what I did then could be considered running or intervals. For whatever reason, it seemed like a place that Henri and I would enjoy and it was more than a run around the neighborhood and a little less busy than our other destination running spot, which I'm guessing was really busy with the weather being as nice as it was. What is this 60 degree weather in March?

Henri was, of course, a little weirded out being in a new place. It's like he forgets how to walk on a leash, he's so freaked out by new surroundings, though they are not that different from our every day surroundings. I wanted to take one spin around the lake, just walking, but Henri was whining, pulling in every which direction and turning back to jump at me frantically. The best thing to do was to start running. Bam! Different dog. He's focused. He's paying attention to what I'm doing and where I'm leading. He moves right past dogs lunging and barking at him, I'm impressed by him every time. It's amazing! I don't know how to get that confidence to shift over to the rest of the time.

In all fairness, it had been a week since he'd been at the dog park and we'd run Sunday and Wednesday. I'm sure he had a lot of energy stored up and sometimes it translates to nervous energy, but he really is a bit of a baby, too. 

The good news is that, not surprisingly, I can now run the very same path that I once could not. It took about ten years, but I figured out the breathing thing and I have a little more speed, seeing as how I have a dog pulling me along with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment