Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Where We're Going, We Don't Need Roads

We finally did it! We won the coveted "Best Group Costume Award". Well, I don't know how coveted it is, but I have tried to win it every year for three years running. The first year Henri was the Big Bad Wolf and I was one of the Three Little Pigs (You know, the last one, because I survived, building my house out of bricks and all). Last year, Henri was a Scuba Diver and I was a Shark. Henri won "Best Costume on a Dog over 25 lbs" (Hey! Are you calling my dog fat?), but we still didn't win the Group Award. I wasn't even sure how I was going to top his Scuba Diver costume, but as a team, we did it!



This was not an easy one. Besides sewing Henri's Doc Brown outfit, I had to make a Delorean that I could wear and walk around with, but still looked cool. I thought I was being pretty detailed with Henri's scuba gear, but the Delorean was much, much more difficult. Yeah, I couldn't just let it be a cardboard car. I did it to myself. I had real seat belts, side view mirrors from bikes, Little Tykes wheels and steering wheel. I had to build the Mr. fusion Home Energy Reactor, the power source on the back of the Delorean and fashion headlights and taillights out of reflective tape and of course, I had to get a miniature version of the license plate. All of this meant many, many hours of cutting, spray painting, gluing and taping.








As I prepared our costumes and asked people for spare parts, I had to explain what I was making. Many people asked, "How are you going to run in that?" Gosh! Can you imagine? (Besides the fact that I would feel pressured to run 88 mph) I had to explain that it was just a parade. Henri and I don't always run. We do lots of fun stuff together, like pretend we are from movies from the 80's :)

No comments:

Post a Comment