Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Keeping Cool

Wouldn't you know it, it was raining this morning when we were supposed to be running. It wasn't supposed to start until 7am when I went to bed, but I guess it couldn't wait to cool things down and showed up early. I guess I can't complain much. It's been a fairly mild Summer, as long as you can get out in the morning. Last August, Henri and I didn't go for a run for a month because of heat advisories. A little rain delay, not the worst thing. Especially since it cooled things off.

I wasn't sure if it was going to work out, but I hoped we could get our run in this afternoon. As long as the sun stayed behind the clouds, hopefully heat and humidity would not climb throughout the day to the degree that Henri couldn't go out with me. He's having quite a bit of separation anxiety and I really wouldn't want to have to leave him to run after I'd been gone all day at work. I look out the window right before I leave work and the sun came out. What!?! No!?! Why now? It was 79 degrees, which is not awful, but it depended on humidity and if there was a breeze. I somewhat regretted our last afternoon run, which was a similar situation, but I wanted to give it a try.

The sun was trying to come out, which was disappointing. I really needed it to be cool. I kept an easy pace, which was still sweaty, but it felt like something that could be maintained for awhile. Henri wanted to go faster, but I knew we wouldn't make it if we picked up too much. By the end of mile three, the clouds won and we got just the break we needed to keep going. It looked like it was going to rain, the breeze picked up, but a drop never fell. I realized it actually felt cooler than Monday morning's run.


We made decent time, despite me keeping us at a slow, steady pace. We finished strong and got some ice cubes, ice water and dinner in our bellies. Not bad for an afternoon run. Yes, the temperature this morning was awesome and would have been great if not for the rain, but this was a fair substitute. Sorry, sun. I just don't need you bringing me and my puppy down right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment