Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Recovery?

This past Saturday was the first of the twenty mile training runs. When discussing our thoughts of increasing to twenty-four miles during our training, we were advised that twenty-two might be the highest we should go, because of recovery time. While we all had some aches and pains on Sunday, we really felt pretty decent. Then I tried to run my seven mile "recovery run" this morning. 

Thankfully, I have Henri. He keeps me moving, even moving at a pace that might not be the most comfortable. Mentally, he was the reason I kept going this morning. Henri has been struggling with the changes in our lives and his current living situation. He is anxious. He doesn't like me to leave him. He's a little on edge. He is typically better after being outside for awhile and having some activity, so our runs are necessary in getting him to a better place.

That is what kept me going this morning. When I wanted to shorten the run, when I made excuses, I looked down at Henri and had to keep going. He did really well this morning, even on the no sidewalk stretch. He got excited about squirrels and rabbits and just seemed to enjoy himself. He still cried when I left for work, but he's been in good spirits this evening, possibly because of the BarkBox that came in the mail.


Sometimes, I don't know how I get through these long runs without him. I'm sure they would go better with him, but it's just too warm. I can't even figure out my own fueling, I don't know how I would make sure he was properly fueled and hydrated. It's okay. I'm going to make it through and then we'll be back to all of the running being about us...as soon as I can find us a home of our own with a safe running route.


No comments:

Post a Comment