Saturday, August 4, 2018

More of the Same

Hey! We ran six miles and didn't get lost this time!

I made sure I went the way I was more familiar with, even if that meant we ran up and down the busier street more than we wanted. It was more than Henri wanted. I don't know if it was the repetition or the traffic (even though there was less traffic than on Monday because it was early in the morning), but he was getting pretty anxious towards the end, which is the opposite of what I want Henri to feel while running, especially as he lives in a fairly constant state of anxiety right now with all the changes in our lives. As I saw his anxiety rise, I made a plan for how to get him off the busy road and back into the neighborhoods - without getting lost.

The timing just worked out. We were closing in on our last mile and we were about at a place I knew we could get one more before getting to the house. Wouldn't you know, as soon as we turned into the neighborhood, Henri eased up. It will be interesting to see if he becomes anxious as soon as we get out to the street now or if it was just the amount of time we were on the street for this particular run.

My plan is to spend my thirteen mile run this weekend exploring the area and finding some more places that are less anxiety inducing. It will take a little trial and error, but I think we can get some good runs in out in this area. Then, just when we get comfortable and figure it all out, it will be time to move again.




No comments:

Post a Comment