Monday, July 30, 2018

Lost

I woke up around 3am, not because I wanted to, but after a day of rain and a 50% chance of rain forecasted for when we were supposed to be running, I took advantage of this rude awakening to check the radar. It seemed to my untrained eye that it was most definitely going to be raining, thus I changed my alarm to two hours later. Those two hours were the best two hours of sleep I got all night.

Then I had this crazy idea. Maybe we could go for a run after I got off work. Yes, Henri and I could run in the afternoon in almost-August. If it rained all day and there was enough of a break and the sun didn't come out, it should be cool enough for us to get six miles in. Wouldn't you know, the forecast was 50% chance of rain then, too. The radar didn't show that though, and while it was probably a little warm, I decided we were going to do it.

Now, I hadn't mapped out six miles in this neighborhood yet, but I had thought about it and I thought I knew how to add just that little bit to what we had done last week. To make it make the most sense, we just reversed one part of our run to keep from looping the same thing over and over. Well, I got lost. I turned into the wrong neighborhood I guess. I still don't know which neighborhood I was supposed to turn into. I ended up at the same street three times. I don't know how. We ran by a family and the wife commented, "We've seen you everywhere today!" And yet, I'm still only squeaking out six miles.

I was very proud of Henri's performance. I haven't found all the quiet nooks and crannies to avoid the long stretches of busy streets, but he didn't seem too phased by the traffic. I know he was nervous and a little stressed. He hardly stopped at all after we went all the way down one busy street and turned to run back up it and when we got "lost". He didn't pull and freak out. He didn't get too jumpy when a noisy truck went by. He listened to me. He followed me. He paid attention to me and what I was doing and where I was going. I know it was slightly warmer than usual with the sun being out, but we have much more shade in these neighborhoods and we did get lucky with cloud cover and no rain. All in all, it was a good run. The best part is that we did it at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment