Monday, July 23, 2018

Priority Shift

After a long weekend, we have moved into our temporary home. Saturday morning, I got up, ran 17 miles, then finished the moving process that I have been working on for months. The last of our things were packed, most put into storage. I sold some more furniture. Our bedroom came with us and we are now all set up in our "apartment" in the basement of friends. Henri is finally starting to settle, but he is still pretty anxious about me leaving him, and I had to go back to work today. We are living with another dog who may or may not like him. It remains to be seen. Poor Henri, he needed this run today.

While the training plan called for 9 miles, I knew I was not familiar enough with the area to find that. Also, I wasn't sure what the temperature was going to be, so I didn't even plan on trying to get that in. While at home I could have ran some of the miles with him and then set back out after dropping him off to finish, I did not think that would go over very well at this point. Henri's sanity is much more important than any training plan. So, I played around with the route on mapmyrun and created a fairly simple to follow 5 mile route. 

Boy, did Henri need that. Also, I considered this run a little bit of speed work because strap a stressed out dog around your waist and take him running in a new area...with sprinklers! Gasp! It was good. I messed up on the route a little, but I still managed to find us 5 miles. The best part? Henri lay down and fell asleep while I got ready for work. Mission accomplished.


So, the runs are going to be more about him right now. Hopefully, he will not disturb the household when I leave him for my long runs on the weekend, but after this week's 18 mile run, we drop back down to 13 for a few weeks, which means less time spent away from him. Hopefully, after a few weeks, he'll be much more settled and much less stressed.


No comments:

Post a Comment