Thursday, October 9, 2014

An Ankle Update

We went for a mini-run today, but that was only because our walk was taking too long and I needed to get to my sports physical therapy screening. I was not prepared to run for even the few minutes that we did. I hadn't wanted to confuse Henri so I used a regular leash, as opposed to the around the waist leash. I had my iPod clipped onto my pants instead of in my armband and my keys (Yes, I'd brought more than just my house key this time) weren't exactly secured so they were jingling the entire time. It was awkward, but it did shave a few minutes off the walk, and if my GPS hadn't told me the place was on the right when it was clearly on the left, I might have made it...no, I was still late. I hate being late.

Anyway, the good news is that she didn't think I needed an MRI at this point. She thinks I irritated the ligaments that connect my leg to my foot. I'm pretty sure she said irritated. My ankle is still swollen and I should still be icing it and elevating it. I need to work on strengthening and balance. 

I also need new shoes. I was trying to put that off until Christmas, but she acted like I should not run in those shoes ever again. That makes my shoes sound like they're in really bad shape. Sure, I knew I was pushing the limit of the miles on these shoes, but the tread still looks good. I don't think they're that bad. They are also colorful now that they went through the color run. 


I know, they have a hole in them and they're a little worn. Call me sentimental! They're my first real running shoes! I was going to ask for new ones for Christmas. That's just a few months away! Fine. Henri is worth it.

I think I've come up with a plan for now that it's cooling off, and now that I know more about my ankle. We'll run on Mondays and Wednesdays, the days that I get off work later and we wouldn't have time to go to the dog park before it gets dark. The other days will be spent at the dog park, unless it's rainy or muddy and running is the best option. I can go after work and we'll be safe. It will also be warmer because while it might be cooling off, at least it would have gotten to the days high rather than the evenings low. So, every once in awhile, we might get a bonus run, but for now it will be twice a week...as long as everything goes well.

I do love running with Henri. I love his attitude. I love the way he smiles up at me. I love how he watches me for cues for our paths and turns. I don't think I would enjoy running this much if I didn't have him to go with me. I can't think of a better running partner!

No comments:

Post a Comment