Wednesday, October 1, 2014

What A Beautiful Dog

I don't know how to respond when someone compliments me on how beautiful Henri is, or how beautiful his coloring is. Of course I thank them, but other than that, I just feel awkward. This happened four times at the dog park yesterday, and it's just got me thinking.

Oh, how awful! Everyone compliments you on your dog. Are you bragging? 

Yes, I think Henri is a cute dog. I always thought that I just felt that way because he was mine. You know, like people feel about their kids. Your kids are always the most beautiful kids in the world, but that's a little different because they're also a reflection of you. You can see yourself and your spouse in their looks, their mannerisms and hear them in their laugh. I had nothing to do with how Henri looks. He does not have my hair or my husbands eyes. His beauty is not a reflection of me, unfortunately for as much as he is complimented :)

We picked him out of a litter of eight. I suppose he is a reflection of our taste, but we didn't really know how he was going to look when he grew up. I actually wanted him to be fluffier, have the longer hair of an Australian Shepard. My husband wanted him to be lighter, more golden like a Golden Retriever. He didn't turn out the way either one of us thought he would. Is he still a reflection of our taste when we pictured him looking differently when we picked him out?

What do I do when I'm so enamored with a pup that I just can't keep it to myself? I'm pretty sure I always tell the dog that they are cute, not the owner. Maybe that's just me being me and preferring to talk to the dogs over the humans. Maybe I feel awkward because I don't really know how to communicate with humans. I guess the dog has no control over how cute he is either, so am I doing the same thing to them that others are doing to me? Is he sitting there as I pet him, thinking, "I had nothing to do with it, Lady. Go talk to my mother...but, wait until you're done rubbing my face."

Sorry for making you feel awkward, Puppy. You're adorable! Henri is, too. I guess I will just have to continue saying, "Thank you," until I can learn to better communicate with humans. 


No comments:

Post a Comment