Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Run Streak Day 48: Early Rise

(From Monday because I feel asleep before posting this. It's like I got up early or something.)

New shoes, who dis?

Yes, I finally got new running shoes. They were long overdue. My body has been complaining for at least a month. I went with the intention to have them order me a pair of my current Asics in a different color. I could have ordered them on Amazon, but I got a $20 coupon after the half-marathon. I was hoping they would be able to order me a pair of my current shoes in a different color. As I sat there, looking at this wall of shoes, I wondered if there was a better pair of shoes for me. I tried this once before and I made the mistake of getting my Mizunos, which I love, but they hit my ankle bone wrong. As soon as I put Asics on again, I felt like I was home. Did I dare try something new again?

I did. I bought a pair of Brooks. I tried them and the Asics. I ran on a treadmill with both, first the Brooks, then the Asics. I'm sure that any pair of shoes was going to feel good after the time I've spent running in these old shoes, but the Brooks felt better. Today was the official "test run".

Unfortunately, our attempt to avoid the heat by running in the morning brought us face to face with a lot of humidity. I guess we were lucky that we got out before the sun heat things up any more. I had the time to run five miles, but I wondered if that would be too much as I tried to break in my new shoes. I talked myself down to a simple three and a half or four miles. I was enjoying my new shoes. They squeak a little as they hit the concrete. They were light. I was feeling fast. My body was feeling pretty good, until a little into mile three. My legs started to wonder what was going on, so I decided three miles was going to be the best I could do.



Henri seemed to enjoy the new shoes, or at least the speed I was running in them. Despite the heat, we were moving at a pretty decent pace, until my legs got confused. Henri was looking up at me with joy on his face. For a boy who hadn't gotten his breakfast yet, he was in a pretty good mood. It had to be the shoes.


My legs are sore. My left ankle/calf/something cramped up real good as I was cooling down, but I'm happy with the shoes thus far. I mean, they're many colors of blue. I might be a Brooks convert. 


No comments:

Post a Comment