Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Run Streak Day 57

My one mile streak run yesterday was fine, but as soon as I started my leg workout, I knew I was in trouble. Yes, leg day followed by an early AM run can be trouble. Sometimes I can wake up and get running before my legs know what's happening. Sometimes it feels like my quads are going to rip out from under my skin.

Having missed out run on Monday due to rain, I really wanted to push for six miles this morning. As I went to bed, my quads burning (or cooling because I put peppermint oil on them to ease the muscles), I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get through. Henri stopped to pee for the first time and I had to stop and start again. I had to do it again. Then again. Well, with each push forward, I was pretty sure I was going to be okay. Yeah, it hurt, but it felt better than leg day and with each step, it felt just a little better.

As we got closer to mile five, I had to make the decision to push through for six miles or listen to my legs that were slowly turning into rubber and stop at five. Henri was picking up on the pain and was starting to slow down too. I couldn't have that, so I asked him if he was hungry. This is why I don't feed him before we run. That put some pep back into his step! Off he went, helping me finish the five mile. We didn't really have time for another mile anyway. Give it another week and the sun will be up earlier. And so will we.

We also made sure to sign up for the next round of the Rescue Run Club 30/30 Challenge starting in June. I wore my shirt to make sure I remembered. We already run for Henri, to give him some much needed energy burn, for me, for exercise and for each other, for our bonding time. We're running the miles anyway. We might as well run for other organizations and fund raising. It's pretty perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment