Saturday, May 19, 2018

Run Streak Day 53

Even on the weekends, I have to remember that it gets warm very quickly as the sun comes up. This morning I woke up early enough, but I rolled over a few too many times. 

I was making sure that it wasn't going to be raining. A few days of strength training have left me legs and body feeling tired and weak. I knew I was going to have to push through these five miles, but I didn't know I was going to have to push this hard. It's been a pretty decent week with the new shoes. I've felt strong and refreshed...until today.

We started out strong enough. I seem to push a little in mile one, to start at a good pace, which tends to wear me down just a little bit in mile two. Unfortunately, mile two always brings us to the park. Sometimes I can get through the park with little struggle. I decided to do two loops through the park. I don't know why. I do this to myself.

Overnight rain had kept the sun at bay for a little longer, but the clouds broke just as we were running through the park. I had already been wiping the sweat off my face repeatedly. I was drenched. Henri wanted to lay in the shadow of the skate ramp. I became concerned that I wasn't going to make three miles, let alone the five we had set out to do. 

We slowed down. Miles run are the same, run slow or fast, strong or weak. Thankfully, we pulled out of the park and I felt much better. Maybe it was just the fact that coming out of the park means we are on the final stretch home. Sure, two more miles, but they were two miles not run in the park, a fairly straight shot home. It was a mental game. I was now winning.

We finished. A little slower than I would have liked, but not by much, considering. We're just not good with heat. It's going to be a long summer.





No comments:

Post a Comment