Monday, May 28, 2018

Run Streak Day 62: Hot, Hot, Hot

Under threat of rain for Saturday morning, we woke up a little bit earlier to run in the dark before I had to go to work on Friday. Okay, it wasn't dark. First light had begun. Even with a dog attached to me, I always feel safer once the sun starts to come up. The sun is not getting up quite early enough yet for us to get much distance on the days I go to work earlier. We squeaked out a 5k, but there was no time for drying hair after my shower. At least I took a shower.

I should have gotten up on Saturday and ran my 10 mile "long run" as part of my marathon training, rain or shine. I can run by myself in the rain, but I would still need to get up before 5am to beat the heat. I don't think it ended up raining much if at all during that time, but I really wanted to sleep in, which meant Sunday morning long run before church. I mean, since I have to get up super early, I still have plenty of time to be ready for church afterwards.

I did just that. I decided it was a little warm to take Henri on a long run, so I head out by myself. I struggled a little the first few miles, so different from the late night run on Friday. So different that I had to stop and walk. I decided to keep moving, with the hopes that the pain I was feeling would subside and I could run the rest of my miles. It was a test to see if I could get past the pain and if I could continue the run after.

It took almost three quarters of a mile, long enough that I thought I was going to have to give up and go home. I decided to finish out the mile walking and try running again, staying close to home, just in case I wasn't going to make it. That mile did exactly what it was supposed to do. I felt much better. I was able to push through the miles with much more ease. I even felt cooler than before.

I developed a knot in my calf around mile eight and a half. I didn't want to stop for even a second. I was afraid it would get worse, so I just kept pushing through. Figures, the one time I decided not to wear my compression socks on a run longer than a mile.

Henri and I got up again this morning. I planned on four miles, if the knot in my leg didn't act up. I didn't know how it would go after running ten mile the previous morning. It was pretty humid, but other than that, the run felt pretty good. As we got closer to home and we still had a little bit left to get to four miles, I called it at three and a half. It felt cruel to turn away from home when Henri was ready for breakfast and he'd been out in the heat long enough. Hopefully the humidity will break soon and the early morning will be comfortable again.

I didn't make Henri turn away from home to finish our last half mile, but I did make him pause and take a picture near the end. You can kind of see the look of "Really?" on his face. 


No comments:

Post a Comment