Friday, February 27, 2015

Oh Deer

As predicted the weather has been cold and snowy. We've been able to go to the dog park, but every time the snow begins to dry off the sidewalks, another wave comes. There is still at least one more wave coming through over the weekend so I decided that we should try to go out today. My phone said it was 14 degrees, but it was really sunny. I hadn't been able to cool down since my workout in the morning, so the cool air felt great! It didn't feel like 14 degrees. Don't worry about Henri, either! He was diving down to scoop up snow as we ran by. He loves these temperatures!

I did struggle at the beginning. I'm sure my workout had worn me down, but I wanted to run. I didn't care if we only ran one lap. I was okay with that. Mind over body! It worked! We got to a point that I was feeling pretty good. Then this happened.




I stopped in my tracks. My heart skipped a beat and I lost my breathe. I watched as, one by one, more deer stepped out and crossed the path.


I couldn't believe it! I guess it was so cold that the park had probably been mostly empty all day. I'm not one hundred percent where they live, but they must have thought it was safe enough to venture out. They weren't done though. While several had already crossed the path, there were several that had seen and heard us coming and were waiting.



There were at least eight of them all together. The ones that crossed were lost in the glare of the sun, but I knew they hadn't gone far. We were actually surrounded by deer. 


Henri saw them, but he was more concerned with finishing the run. He took in the scenery and was done. So focused! We decided to let the rest of the deer catch up with the others and continued on our way. I am so glad I decided to go on a run today and that I opted for running somewhere other than the neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment