Saturday, April 11, 2015

{52 Snapshots of Life} Week 15: Blessings

While this week's Snapshot theme is a no brainer to most of us who love and blog about our pets, the picture I had in mind did not come about. Maybe the picture I have is more of a blessing than my original idea.

This past weekend was Easter and we had plans. We had plans that all fell through. We were going to go up to Chicago and spend time with some family and take Henri to the dog beach. He hasn't been to the beach and I really want to take him, especially one where I can let him off leash and just see what he naturally wants to do. Well, in preparation for this trip we found out about the canine flu outbreak. I know that there is a lot of buzz around people making too big of a deal out of this. When there are notices to take your dog public places at their own risk and they release things that say that if your dog is not vaccinated for it and comes in contact with it, they WILL get it, no thanks. I checked with my vet and they didn't have the vaccination. They recommended we not go. 

I am not a germaphobe. I do not worry about being around people that are sick. I don't get a flu shot. I eat food off the floor (five second rule!). Sometimes we get sick and we just can't help it. Maybe I'm going to be different when I'm a mom, because I do not want Henri getting sick, not flu sick (not any sick, but for some reason flu sick sounds worse). I completely understand that this might have been blown up to boost flu vaccination sales, but in this case, it wasn't worth the risk. We probably still could have gone to Chicago and just foregone the dog beach, but the trouble of a car ride and keeping Henri in an unfamiliar place with little exercise with the possibility of him catching the flu...not worth it.

So, my plan for a picturesque image of Henri playing on a beach didn't happen, but he is not sick and he's alive and that's more of a blessing than I could imagine. So, here are my blessings, my little family, taken on Easter (also our wedding anniversary this year), all healthy, well and alive, and that's the biggest blessing I can imagine.


3 comments:

  1. Health is a wonderful blessing to post about and you captured it here beautifully! Happy belated anniversary as well. Your blessings abound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes getting sick is not worth the risk. We would stay home too. The flu too, will pass and dogs can get back to being dogs and having worry free fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo, pets are such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete