Wednesday, June 17, 2015

{52 Snapshots of Life} Week 24: Comfort

Comfort is many things to many people (and dogs). It comes in many forms. Some people find comfort in people; the best friends they've had since they were five years old, their grandma who teaches them all things about cooking, their child who brings them dandelions as if they were the most precious flower to give, *cough* their Henri. Some people find comfort in places; their favorite chair that is nestled in the corner of their bedroom, the hammock in the middle of the garden in the backyard, the spot where they first met their spouse. Some people find comfort in things; their favorite oversized sweatshirt, a fishing pole their grandfather gave them, their phone with all of it's secrets and invaluable information. Warm cookies from the oven, a letter from a loved one overseas, a photograph of a place your wish to visit, whatever it is, it invokes an emotion, a feeling, a sense. Comfort washes over you and you can stay there, for a little while, if not longer.

I immediately think of sitting with Henri, his head resting in my lap or his body pressed against my legs are we relax and cool down after our morning runs. He can be extra affectionate during this time, as if it's his way of saying 'thanks' for the time and energy spent with him. This time must come to an end as it is time to move on with the day and get ready for work. I come out of the shower and, without fail, I find Henri in the hallway. He has made himself comfortable, though I don't know how that can be all that entirely comfortable to twist in such a way, but there he is, nonetheless, stretched, twisted and propped up against the wall.


Sorry for the quality. It's often still a little dark after my shower and the hallway doesn't get much light. As soon as he knows I'm there, he jumps up and follows me as I dry my hair, so I had to be fast and sneaky.

2 comments:

  1. So true, there are many kinds and ways of finding comfort. Henri has complete trust and relaxation to sleep like that. I love it when I see a dog sleep in that position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha Hobie, my lab/shepherd mix used to sleep exactly like that! Top half of the body twisted to one side, legs propped against the wall. In the hallway. I have a bunch of pics of him doing it. So silly!! Great memory!!

    ReplyDelete