Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Run Streak Day 15: T-U-R-T-L-E Power

Let's see, what day is this? Day 15 of the Run Streak. Yes, I'm still on this. Here's how it's been going.

It's been several days since I've run with Henri. I've been hitting the mile runs and then strength training, but this past weekend was time for another long run. Anything over five miles, maybe six gets kind of complicated in the neighborhoods, the turning and looping confuses Henri and it hurts my momentum. Pairing that with Henri's potty and sniffing breaks, I really wanted to hit an outside location. While I felt a little guilty about it, I traded Henri's legs in for some human ones when we decided to run out in the woods. Henri doesn't like to run near a certain point (cars going over a bridge make too much noise) and we were going to have to go by it twice.

The woods are probably my favorite place to run, but they are HARD. I usually only get three miles out of them because of the point that Henri won't pass, but three is enough. It's a long and winding path through woods and prairie with lots of ups and downs. Since I haven't run much more than three, we had to figure out where the paths continued to get us to eleven. I know lots of people marathon train out there, so I know the distance is there.

We didn't figure it out exactly. I mean, we got the distance, we just got creative with a little bit of exploration and trail running. I'll speak for myself and from my experience. It was hard, but it was exhilarating. The moments when I felt good carried me through the times when I had to hustle to get up another hill (which was often). I don't have to proper shoes for the trails (rather I do, but I wasn't wearing them - I haven't trained on the trails yet). We tried to avoid them as much as possible because of mud, avoiding injury and the fact that we haven't trained on trails, but they were fun for little jaunts. 

When Henri and I had been out a few weeks ago, there were rocks, shaped like eggs, painted like cartoon characters. We took our picture with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, Michaelangelo because this run took a little T-U-R-T-L-E Power.


I was a little stiff after. My glutes hurt when I sat on them. My inner thighs cramped that night as I went to bed. I didn't even know that your inner thighs could cramp.

I ran a mile yesterday. Aside from pain in my right arch from the trail runs, I felt pretty good. I really didn't struggle at all, which I was surprised.

Today was a five mile run, with Henri! Hooray! No more crying about not being able to go for a run. I might have had to slow him down a little bit, to spare my legs, but we had a good run with just the right amount of potty and sniffing.

#tongueouttuesday

So, to review, I've been running at least one mile every day, Friday was leg day, Saturday, AAA (arms, abs and a$$), a challenging Sunday eleven mile run, booty day and five miles today. I'm seriously so proud of what I've been accomplishing. I don't know if it's the streak or it's all a mental game. I feel strong and I'm so glad that Henri started me on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment