Sunday, April 22, 2018

Run Streak Day 26: Last Long Run

Today is the last long run before the half-marathon on Saturday. My body is protesting. 

Friday, Henri and I did five miles. We're slowing down because of the warmer temperatures, but overall I'd say it was an okay run. I was getting pretty discouraged that it didn't feel better, but then I remembered that the day before had been leg day. Of course my legs didn't want to move!


So, I took Saturday off, aside from my streak run/warm-up mile and a half before my strength training and pushed the last long run to today, Sunday. In my mind, the ten miles don't sound that long anymore, or that hard. I just have to decide on the best place to run them, and I need to put up with the heat, but then, it's just ten miles.

I decided to do them at home, around the neighborhood. I wanted to take Henri along, but one, he gets confused when we start double looping places and two, again, it's warmer. I didn't think he'd enjoy ten miles in the warmer temperatures, so I planned on running five with him, dropping him off at home and making my second loop to get my ten.

And then my body said, 'no'. Maybe my lunch wasn't fully digested, but I got a horrible stitch in my side. I thought I could push through it, but I didn't make it a half a mile before it was screaming at me to stop. So, I stopped and we walked home, me feeling defeated. Yeah, there's plenty of light left in the day, but I wanted to do my run now. So, I sat down and tried to stay motivated until I felt like I could try again.

Take two!

Yes, that worked much better. Except the wind! Are you tired of me talking about how windy it is? I'm tired of talking about it, so I won't but it was there and we were running into it for a good chunk. Then I did it again after I dropped Henri off at home, but those were the worst miles. I was slower than I wanted to be, especially without my sled dog, but it was good. It was all for the best. It felt much better out when we went out the second time, which was better for Henri. I almost made him join me a little longer, but I knew his internal clock was saying, "Dinner time!".


This is from another day (note the leggings and long sleeves), but it reflects the emotion of every run with Henri and a little bit of the strength I'm feeling. Legs, don't fail me now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment