Saturday, May 16, 2015

{52 Snapshots of Life} Week 20: Mother

Mother's Day. I do not have any children, though I want some badly. It's a day that can remind you of what you long for more than anything else in the world and that can be hard.

I don't really refer to myself as Henri's mom, though I am definitely the quintessential dog-mom. Henri is my baby. I am responsible for his life, his care and his well-being. It is my job to teach him what to do and how to behave. I take him to the vet to keep him healthy or if he might be sick. I take him to the park or on a run to play (plus the countless hours playing in the house!). I make sure he is eating the right things, that he gets his vitamins, that he brushes his teeth. I give up time out with friends to be with him. I try to give him the best life he can have, that he's happy and healthy and enjoying himself. I love him unconditionally. He can tear up his toys, bark at the neighbors or accidentally bite me. I will sew his toys back up, go outside in the snow in bare feet to make him stop barking or be mad for a little while. I still love him. In that way, I am his mom. 

It was important to me to be with Henri on Mother's Day. I wanted to go on a run, but the weather didn't really cooperate. We spent some time just hanging out and being together. Henri might have figured out what was going on because he sat closer to me, rested longer with me and was just all around adorable with me. While he doesn't know what Mother's Day means, he had a look in his eyes when he looked at me that told me he loved me and appreciated me...and maybe that I wouldn't kiss him so much.


3 comments:

  1. Awww that photo melts my heart! You sure are a great fur mom. Without going into detail, I do kind of understand about your wish to have children because my daughter has been through a lot. If you want to read her blog posts about it she is at laurencasper.com. Sometimes it helps to know you're not alone in your feelings. :)

    ReplyDelete