Tuesday, May 19, 2015

The Sound of...Something

Today was an awesome day for a run! I knew the day was supposed to be cooler, and we could probably have waited till after work, but I was afraid that it was heat up more than they said or that the humidity would be higher than they said. I decided to stick with the early morning, in an attempt to nail the routine down. We woke up to 45 degree weather. It was perfect! (I know. I'm turning into Henri!) 

We set out just a little earlier, but the sun was coming up earlier than yesterday so we got to see a beautiful sunrise as we ran. It was a peaceful, quiet morning. Even the fact that I was running back-to-back days wasn't bothering my ankle too much, which is the idea, so, great!

We were coming up on mile three. Suddenly, there was a loud, BANG! Henri, being afraid of fireworks, gunshots or just unexpected noises in general, bolted. Yes, I was still attached to him. Thankfully, I weigh more than he does and he didn't drag me all the way home, which is where I'm sure he would have headed if he could have taken off as fast as he could to safety. He was pulling a little, but I kept making him slow down and speaking softly to him as we continued our run. He didn't seem to be too distressed after a minute or so. I'm sure he would have been making all kinds of whiny noises if he had still been scared. He probably would have woken up every neighbor we ran by with his carrying on, but he didn't. He was brave. It probably helps that we were already running and he is very focused while we are running. I still don't know what the noise was. It might have been a truck or semi. We were closer to the highway and a gas station/truck stop is just over the overpass. It could have come from either one of those places. It could have been some sort of sonic boom. Neither one of us were bleeding, so we hadn't been shot and I didn't hear about anyone else getting shot either. It was so early in the morning! I would not have wanted to have been woken up by that. 

Other than that little event, our run was perfect. My ankle still feels fine and we were a little faster than yesterday, even though I was deliberate about a slow and steady pace. What do you know? Slow and steady really does win the race! Well, probably not, but it still gets it done and that is really all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment