Wednesday, July 23, 2014

And the forecast says...

I have mixed feelings when the forecast calls for rain in the early morning. 

Yesterday, while I was sitting in the break room, having lunch, the forecast was revealed, and it was supposed to rain. Not just rain, storm, heavily. It was supposed to start around midnight and carry through to the early morning. As the radar rolled across the screen, it looked especially bad during the time we normally run. Guh!

Thus, the internal battle begins. Do I get up early anyway? Do I just sleep in? If I sleep in, I don't have to go to bed so early. But, we have to run! Rain! Storms! It's an acceptable excuse for not getting up! It is nice to have an unexpected day off. Will Henri be disappointed? Henri will be up anyway. He'll probably wake me up. The storms will wake me up. Unless there are no storms. Then I would have slept late for nothing. That's a missed opportunity for time with Henri! It's missed us before. It's hit us before. That was not fun. But, it's missed us before!

I checked the radar and the forecast several more times throughout the evening, trying to decide what to do. I looked at the hour by hour forecast and it continued to call for storms.

I decided to get up and see what it was doing in the morning. I didn't sleep well. I tossed and turned, anticipating storms, but every time I woke up, it wasn't raining. I even had a dream that it turned into a horrible snow storm, in the middle of July! That's not really out of the realm of possibility with the weird weather we've been having.

Guess what? It wasn't raining. I checked the radar again. It was still supposed to storm, right in the middle of our run time. It should be right over us. Well, I was up and it hadn't rained a bit, so I decided to take a chance.

It never rained. It never stormed. We made it through the entire run, sat in the backyard as we cooled down and nothing. It was windy. It was humid. It was not stormy. I checked the forecast and the rain was gone, completely, from the forecast. How does that happen?

Of course, the surprising part is that I was more excited that we got to go on a run, than I was excited that we might not get to go. That is just how much I love running with Henri. 

No comments:

Post a Comment