Thursday, July 10, 2014

The More You Know...

I knew about bikejoring and skijoring. These are activities in which the person is pulled by one or more dogs. I've actually tried the bikejoring with Henri. Okay, after reading more about it now, it wasn't really bikejoring as much as just biking with Henri, like I run with Henri now. I have an attachment for my bike, but Henri didn't seem to like the bike by itself, let alone being "chased" by it. I still want to do it with him, but I think it's going to take some time for him to get used to being near the bike and I can't walk him and the bike at the same time, not successfully anyway.

In my searches for others who run with their dogs I found a sport called Canicross. It's running cross country with your dog. It's actually more like your dog is running with you as the sled. It's really big in Europe, originally used for off-season training for sled dogs, but now a sport of it's own.. I have a leash that hooks around my waist, but the belts they use for this are similar to rock climbing harnesses, enabling the dog to actually pull you. Can you imagine? Any of it? It's so crazy! I love it!

Now, I don't know that I'll ever be able to run more than the 3-ish miles I run with Henri right now. I don't know. I'm just not sure. I know I joke about Henri being my little sled dog, but I would imagine that if we were running longer distances, over different terrains, he would actually have to pull me through. I would also imagine I would be on my face for most of it.  

I want to do it! Kinda. Probably not really. Probably. 

No comments:

Post a Comment