Monday, July 14, 2014

See, what had happened was...

Saturday afternoon, I'm downstairs watching tv. My husband and Henri are upstairs, doing laundry or something. Suddenly, I hear Henri cry out! It was like the surprised cry when you accidentally trip over your dog, but it sounded a touch more painful. I hear my husband apologizing to Henri, and I'm already on my feet to head up to see what happened when Henri comes running downstairs. Well, he's moving so, that's a good thing. 

My husband follows close behind and tells me that they were playing with the frisbee and Henri turned as it was thrown to him and it hit him in the face, maybe in the eye. This wouldn't be a huge deal except that this frisbee has seen better days. He has two frisbees. A nice frisbee, for actually playing frisbee, usually outside where you need a frisbee that flies, that I take away from him when he starts to chew it, and the old frisbee that was once that frisbee, but he got bored in the backseat one day and decided to make some enhancements and then wouldn't leave his new and improved frisbee in the car. Henri has chewed all around it, tearing of little pieces, essentially making it a throwing star, as my husband called it, post accident.

Henri didn't seem too concerned with what might have just happened. He was happy to have some attention, but didn't seem bothered by his eye. I could see it was red though. I called the emergency clinic to see what I should watch for. They didn't seem to think there was much to be concerned with, but gave me a few things to watch for. His eye was watering and he was blinking it, but it wasn't too bad. I sat for a few more minutes, trying to decide if I wanted to take him in. His eye seemed a little swollen in the corner. I know the eye is a pretty amazing thing and heals really well, but I decided not to take a chance. So, off we went to the emergency clinic.

Henri was very good while his eye was examined, stained and re-examined. He did have a little scratch so he got some ointment to be applied twice a day for the next 5 days. I asked the vet if we should forego the running till then, but she said that as long as it's not super windy, we are not running in tall grasses or on dirt or gravel paths, it was fine. He shouldn't get any debri in his eye.

Aside from getting drops in his eye, you wouldn't know anything had ever happened. He doesn't have a lot of discharge from the drops. He hasn't needed to wear the cone of shame to keep him from rubbing his eye on anything.

So, we went for a run today. Do bugs count as debri? I feel like I needed a bug shield. I'm pretty sure at least one bug was splattered on my face. It's hard to tell the difference between sweat and bug guts.

Oh yeah, and that frisbee was thrown away as soon as we got back from the emergency clinic.

No comments:

Post a Comment