Monday, July 7, 2014

Badge of Honor

Today we received our Running in the Rain Badge. Didn't I just post last week about always just missing the rain? Well, that didn't last long.

I didn't notice till after we had walked out of the house and I had locked the door. I turned and walked off the porch, noticing a little dampness on the porch, but accounting it to the humidity. Then I noticed the driveway and the street. It was just a drizzle, but it had just started.

I was tempted to turn around and go back inside, but Henri seemed like he wanted to go. Maybe it was just going to stay a drizzle. We could always turn around or make it a shorter run today. So, we went.

We crossed the street and started our run. It was still just a drizzle, though Henri seemed to be attempting to use me as shelter from it. I told him, 'Just once around the park and back. That's it.' Sure, we could turn back now, but I had gotten up two hours early for this. It had been a long weekend of travel and late nights. A little extra sleep sounded good, but I didn't want to be selfish and it was just a little rain.

By the time we got to the park, it was raining. Then it rained harder. We turned at a different place to cut the park in half. I was having a hard time seeing as rain dropped in my eyes. I don't know if it was just the dropping in my eyes or if it was the fear of it washing out my contacts, but it's really hard to run with your eyes closed. 

The raindrops were huge. I was soaked and very uncomfortable. Henri kept shaking off, but we were troopers. I mean, what were we going to do? Stop? It's raining. We're already wet. Just get done and get home. Yes, we could stop at that pavilion, but we don't know if it's going to stop raining. It could get worse. It could thunder and lightning and after the weekend Henri had, I did not want that. So, we kept going.

Once we got back to the sidewalk leading home, it started to let up. By the time we got to the last turn, it had stopped. Of course it did. We walked. Henri probably would have been fine going faster so he could get home to a towel, but I weighed an extra ten pounds with wet clothes and I hadn't been able to breathe right with rain falling in my face. 

We did it. It was only two miles today instead of three. We were slower as we navigated the rain. Still, we did it. And while I'm making up badges, I also get the Running with a Headache Badge, which went away with the run so, yeah for not giving into temptation!

And Henri keeps bringing me toys. So much for wearing him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment