Friday, September 19, 2014

Oh, Dog Park, How We've Missed You

Thank goodness for cooler weather and the dog park! 

I had a much calmer Henri on our walk this morning. He was more attentive to me and what I wanted him to do than he has been since we started walking. He was paying attention to me almost as much as when we run, when we really feel like a team. His loose leash walking was the best that it has been.

Some trainers say that it's important that your dog expend some of his energy before you try to teach him something, so he can focus better. I have wondered if this was exactly what Henri needed, both to focus on what I was trying to teach him and too really calm his nerves. This week that theory has been proven. This is the first week that he has been able to go on a walk in the morning and go to the dog park in the afternoon. He's really been able to get a good amount of exercise. It's not as much as he could be getting still, but by today's walk, you could tell he was feeling much better, much more comfortable.

I know he's only two and a half years old. He's still young, but he still has A LOT of energy, more than I thought he would have at this point. The weather is only going to cool and continue to improve his play at the park. We might have to shorten our runs so he doesn't get entirely exhausted...which is something I have hardly ever seen from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment