Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day Weekend

It's Labor Day, which, in the retail world, means you labor, so, it was another early AM walk with Henri. At least we had the sun with us this morning. 

My foot starts to hurt a few minutes into our walk every day. It's never my ankle. It's always my foot. It usually only lasts a few minutes, but I guess it's telling me that it's not time to ease back into the running, not yet anyway. This is only week two of walking. It just seems like it's been forever since I ran.

We've been using these walks to work on Henri's loose leash walking, staying by my side. It's hard because I know he wants to be going much faster than we are and he has a lot more energy than we are able to expend while walking. He's doing pretty well despite this. This might be easier now that he knows how to fall in stride with me while we run. He still freaks and skirts around things in the path, like the weeping willow leaves that hang on the sidewalk or the bushes that stick out too far. I wonder if they would bother him as much if we could run by them. 

We had a couple of adventures out this weekend, in hopes of giving him some exercise. We went to one dog park Friday night, using the last light of day. I sat on the picnic table where it was safe from holes that might sneak up on me in the dark while my husband ran and tossed balls for Henri. I took him to the other dog park on Saturday morning. It was already heating up and we only ventured around once before he was waiting by the front gate, a sign that he was ready to leave. We went to a friends house on Sunday for a two year old's birthday party. There was a puppy there for him to play with and he ran for a bit, but the heat and new surroundings got to him and he wanted to go home. He probably wouldn't have gone swimming anyway :) Maybe one of these weekends will be cool enough to take another trip to the lake. That will wear him out for a day or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment