Saturday, July 4, 2015

{52 Snapshots of Life} Week 27: Patriotic

I don't even remember how long it has been since I have been able to enjoy fireworks. I really don't know if I will ever be able to truly enjoy them again. The Fourth of July can be extremely stressful, especially to those that have dogs who are fearful. Henri is one of these dogs. My other dogs weren't too fond of fireworks either, especially when the location of the fireworks changed to right near our house. Sure, it was nice to be able to avoid any traffic and just step out your back door to watch the fireworks display, but it was far, far too loud for the dogs. I am so thankful that they moved the location back before we got Henri. He might have actually had a heart attack.

In the years past, the fourth has been during the week. The first year was the year that someone set off a firework while we were walking Henri, literally 100 feet behind him. No wonder the poor guy is fearful! Our fourth was spent upstairs, with my iPod playing to cover up the sounds of neighbors randomly setting off fireworks in the neighborhood. We repeated this the following year, starting a little earlier so he didn't get spooked before the attempt to "go to bed". Last year, it was a Friday. I was worried, but we were invited to go out to the country and spend time with family. We were lucky that neighbors were not setting off many fireworks and when the neighboring town started their show, we were already inside, cuddling. He was still scared, but it was better.

In the fall, we finally bought a Thundershirt. Neighbors were moving and Henri heard their continuous bumps against the walls and spent much of the evenings trembling. I don't know if it helped completely, but we haven't had a lot of opportunity to try it. We will try to use it for the fireworks this year.

This morning, we ran. We will keep things calm. We will go out to the county to visit family. We will take Henri's Thundershirt. He will get to play and run in an open area for hours. When the fireworks start, we will move inside, with a noise machine and a Thundershirt and wait it out. We will make it through another Fourth of July.


Not all fireworks are bad, eh, Henri?

3 comments:

  1. Poor Henri! Sophie and Jasper don't like them either, but they just bark like crazy. This is our first 4th in Fort Lauderdale, and I'm hoping there are no crazy neighbors. Hang in there with Henri. Hope it's better for him this year. It sounds like you have it all figured out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunno if we’re talking about the same fireworks but we’re bummed that they moved them. I’m sorry Henri is so scared. I run under the bed when we have loud noises in the common hall but I’m not phased by fireworks outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My previous two dogs (rest their souls) were absolutely terrified of fireworks. I live on a lake, and the fireworks are insane here. My two present dogs, littermates Charlie and Cooper, must have some gun-dog bred into them, because they just bark a little and then sleep through it. I spent 15 years hating fireworks (and am still not a fan) because of what it did to my dogs. I miss my boys, but it was nice not to have dogs shaking and hiding in the bathtub last night.

    ReplyDelete