Friday, July 10, 2015

Mind Over Body

Some days you have to tell your body, "Shut up! We are going on a run!"

The early mornings might be getting to me. I don't feel like I struggled to get up and run as much last year. I know I got injured at some point during the summer, but I still woke up early and went walking with Henri. I'm not sure what the difference is. My eyes are tired. My legs don't want to move. My back hurts. My head hurts. I don't feel well. I just want to sleep. Of course, I don't let these excuses stop me from running, but they have been hindering my run and my enjoyment of the run and running with Henri.

This morning, I wanted a good run. I was determined. I was going to keep a good pace. I was going to push through whatever my body was saying was wrong. I was going to finish and finish strong, or at least stronger than I felt like I had been finishing. This week should have been a week of easy runs with the cooler weather and the run being the only workout I was doing. It just hasn't been. 

Sometimes, I wish I could close my eyes while I run. I just need a few steps and a few breaths to focus, but that's not really safe when running with a dog, or just running in general. There were times when I could feel the drag coming over me. Somehow, I was still able to pull myself together and the run felt good. I didn't really know if it was actually good, but it felt good and that's what I'd been waiting for. I let Henri keep me going a little faster, making me push a little harder and I ended with some of the best paces I've had in weeks. Finally!

I told me body to 'shut up and run' and it did. That won't work every day, I'm sure, but it worked today and I got a result I was happy with. Henri was happy with it, too as he is sitting next to me on the couch now, rewarding my efforts with a little cuddle time. What a way to end the week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment