Saturday, July 18, 2015

{52 Snapshots of Life} Week 29: Water

Being as heat-sensitive as Henri is, I would really think that he would enjoy jumping in the water to cool off. Of course, being a Nervous Nelly, he would be afraid of water. We've been slowly working on it year after year, but, again, heat-sensitive, not wanting to be outside in the heat, small window of learning. 

Henri went with me to attend a pool party because, well, I like to take him everywhere. If I could carry a purse big enough, he would be a purse puppy. Of course, I wouldn't really carry him in a purse unless that just meant he got to go places with me. Maybe I could get a wagon and wheel my purse around. Yes, I'm sure Henri would love that. I digress. Henri went with me. I took his life jacket and some of his pool toys in hopes that I would be able to coax him into the water and he could discover all the fun that he's been missing. It wasn't too hot out, for a normal dog that can handle a little heat, so I knew he'd be okay. Plus, he had lots of little friends to keep him entertained.

He wondered around, investigating the area. He was very interested in the pool and the areas around the pool while no one was in it. I almost wondered if he would just jump right in on his own. He, of course, did not. He is Henri after all. We made a split decision to fill up the baby pool, even though he has had no interest in that, even when I bought him one last year and filled it up in our own back yard. He would barely walk into it to get his toys. He would just stretch as far as he could to grab them and pull them out. Stinker.

As the pool filled, hose still in it, Henri walked right in, all four paws. I swear, his eyes lit up as he looked up at me. I really wish he could have talked right then because I would love to know what he was thinking. I thought he'd be nervous of the hose, still running, but he stepped back out and then turned around and stepped back in. The wheels were turning. The lightbulb was coming on. He could get in the pool to cool down!



I set up a canopy for him with two chairs and a towel and got into the big pool. He sat under his canopy and watched the action, occasionally coming to the edge of the pool to check on me and walking to step into his pool. He was a little lifeguard, keeping an eye on everyone.


He did finally become comfortable enough to play with the water a little. He was still timid and stretching to get the toys, but I could see relaxation coming over him. He would stand next to the pool, front paws in, just watching.


Aside from the time he slipped and fell into the pool (and yes, I was a good mommy and helped him get out rather than taking a picture of him swimming), Henri did not get in the pool. He was quite comfortable playing from the outside of the pool, at least for now. I still think he'll get in at some point. Even after falling in, he still came back to play.





It's a little weird, as Henri is a dog, but I am so proud of him. He seems to be getting a little more confident all the time. He is doing better with going new places. He wasn't as bad with the fireworks this year. He is getting in a baby pool of his own volition. He seems to trust me more, even though I take him into the "awful" situations. As long as I'm there, he can be there, too. Someday, I hope to look back at these pictures and think, "Remember when Henri used to be afraid of water?"










3 comments:

  1. Great photos! My dogs don't like water. A couple weeks ago, Charlie jumped into my friend's koi pond (not good, but I couldn't believe it!). He got fully wet, even his head and everything. First time ever! I like Henri's toys, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought dogs were made to love water but I guess not.

    ReplyDelete